I've been a little MIA on the blog scene lately. I've been feeling a little overwhelmed with life, the new year, classes and Rosa the Dog's constant adorableness (it is a distracting, yet welcome burden).
I am reminded constantly why I love what I do but man, I gotta get some serious me time in to recharge these batteries. If I don't, watch out. I'd say I get mean to scare you away but in reality I just get very tired, very emotional (I teared up watching a super cute old couple cross the street the other day) and very shut off. About this time my body says "Ooooook, Jesse - you're not getting the hint so I'm going to throw something a little more painful your way" i.e. sickness or injury.
Right now, I am in the midst of both. I hear you now body, you don't have to be such a bitch about it (she says after her body had been screaming for two weeks to slow the eff down).
For me, my self care rituals tend to border on what some might call work, but hey, to each their own. As I say in my yoga classes - you do you boo.
So we will start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start, with a list of my self care activities.
These are a few of my FAVE-OR-IT things (enunciation people - Julie Andrews is the queen - I follow several of her rules, obviously):
- Long walk outside, in the sunshine
- Clean my apt/car/etc - decluttering space declutters my mind
- Meal Plan and Prep - When I don't have to worry about food I am far less anxious and cranky
- Find a warm place and read a book for fun not to learn nor to become a better person
- ALL OF THE NAPS
- Write - journal, stories, etc.
- Finally watch a movie I've been wanting to see
- Pet all of the dogs (Bar K is a great place to do this)
- Warm blanket which generally results in another nap
- If weather permits walk Rosa the Dog barefoot in the grass (watch out for poo)
- Organize my closet and get rid of the things
- Finally put away Christmas decor (don't judge me)
- Probably take another nap
- Take a deep stretch, restorative or yoga nidra class
- Salt Room time at The Laya Center
THEN I finally re-emerge from all the puppies, naps and cleaning to connect with the people that nourish my soul. I am working on listening to my body better, giving it what it needs and wants preemptively so maybe I don't have to nap as much but until then you'll probably find me cuddling Rosa the Dog and snoozing away.
Happy Self Care Time Everyone :)